Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Welcome to the World of a Mariner's Fan

Hello to all you baseball fans out there!  I am Scott and I'm a Seattle Mariners fan.  I have decided to start this blog because I love talking about baseball, more importantly the Seattle Mariners.  I have been an M's fan since I was 10 years.  Back in the days when the Kingdome harbored such players as Ken Griffey Jr., Jay Buhner, Edgar Martinez, Alex Rodriguez, Joey Cora, and others.  Back when Randy Johnson hurled fire from a pitcher's mound 60 ft away from and opposing batter.  Back when...ok, I think you get the picture.

The years I have spent being a Mariners fan have been filled with many emotions.  Joy and pain, happiness and anger, excitement and frustration, elation and disappointment.  In most recent years it has been more disappointing than anything else, but through the thick and the thin this author remains a fan.  I first saw the M's play the Red Sox live at Cashman Field in Las Vegas.  I don't remember much from that game but it was at that game that my fanship began.  I can remember Ken Griffey Jr. standing at the plate in his signature stance and hitting a towering fly ball to centerfield.  Since that game I have been to two other Mariners games.  They were both in Anahiem against the Angels.  They were unfortunately swept that series but I can remember John Olerud hitting a homerun into the right field stands and coming within 20 feet of Ichiro and Mike Cameron as they were signing autographs before the game began.

Ok, I think that is enough rambling.  I have created this blog with the intention to talk baseball.  It will mostly consist of the Seattle Mariners but I welcome all baseball conversations.  I plan to comment on their games as they play this season.  I might be venting my frustrations most of the time but I will remain optimistic in my aspiratons of seeing the M's reach the coveted World Series. 

May 17:  Mariners vs. Twins (Hernandez v. Liriano)

After the first inning this game turned out to be a regular pitcher's duel.  Felix Hernandez began giving up 2 runs in the first inning then went 7 stellar innings striking out 9 and giving up only 2 more hits.  Unfortunately, his gem was equalled by Twins pitcher Francisco Liriano.  He, too, gave up only 3 hits striking out 9 in the Twin's 2-1 route of the Seattle Mariners.  There weren't many highlights which is somewhat typical of a pitcher's duel.  Ichiro, Chone Figgins, and Micheal Saunders were the only Mariners to get hits, all singles.  The middle of the lineup,  Justin Smoak, Miguel Olivo, and Jack Cust were somewhat disappointing going 0-10 striking out 4 times.  What was even more disappointing was a missed call by the second base umpire in the bottom of the ninth which ultimately sent the Mariners to their 24th loss of the season.  That seems to be common this season, not the losing, but the missed calls by the umpires.  It doesn't seem that the Mariners can catch a break with "blue" this year.  And that is why I am sleepless over Seattle.

So, this is how the blog will be structured this season.  Please leave your comments and if there are any questions I will try my hardest to get back to them promptly.  Thanks for reading and continue on all you baseball fans out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment